What is it like to work with me?
I’m warm and empathic, and also direct and goofy; like a grandma that brings you homemade soup when you’re sick and tells you a dirty joke while you’re having it. I listen to you and your body language closely, looking for places in which mind and body agree or disagree (spoiler alert: I tend to side with the body). I am your staunchest ally and I’ve got your back. I let you know, often and copiously, that, NO, nothing is wrong with you, and NO, you’re not ‘crazy’ or imagining things. My underlying purpose in our sessions is to empower you. That means sometimes I’ll call you out when you are out of integrity, like when you really want to get over your ex but you keep checking their social media daily. After we’ve worked together for a while, you kind of pick up what I’m thinking just by my expression; definitely not a straight-faced therapist. Also, I have a Spanish accent because I am from Barcelona, Spain.
Social justice is about mental health too
I actively cultivate my awareness of my privileged and oppressed identities. I do so by seeking the work of diverse voices with different identities than mine and listening to what they have to say about how we impact each other. I strive to behave in the ways that will allow me to call myself a feminist, body positive, sex positive, people of color ally, LGBTQ ally, people living with disabilities ally and immigrant advocate. I endeavor to not act in ways that inadvertently oppress the people around me, and to listen to their feedback when I do.
- Licensed California Marriage and Family Therapist, LMFT #106526
- Masters in Integral Counseling from the California Institute of Integral Studies, in San Francisco.
- 11 years of Gestalt training from different programs: Institute Gestalt in Barcelona, Spain; Esalen Institute in Big Sur; Church Integral Counseling Clinic in San Francisco; and Mental Research Institute in Palo Alto.
- EMDR trained by the Laurel Parnell Institute, EMDRIA approved.
- Trained in Strategic Family Therapy at the Mental Research Institute.
- A few of the other modalities I have been trained in that inform my work: Family Constellations, Hypnosis, NLP.